30 – 45 minutes
Beef & Watermelon Rice Noodle Salad
- 1 lb beef (steak, flank, or stir fry strips)
- 1 lb (454g) Vermicelli Rice Noodles (the very thin rice noodles), softened and drained
- Sprinkle of salt, pepper, and garlic granules
- 3 cups watermelon cubes
- ½ long English cucumber, cut into cubes
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup fruit vinegar (raspberry or the like) or, the juice of half a fresh lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 10 cracks fresh black pepper
- chili flakes to garnish (optional)
- sesame seeds to garnish
Step by Step Instructions
Soak your rice noodles in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes to soften them.
Rub the beef with good sprinkle of salt, pepper, and garlic granules (if you are using stir fry strips place them into a bowl sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic granules and toss to coat well) and set aside.
Prepare your dressing. Add olive oil, fruit vinegar or lime juice, minced garlic, salt and pepper into a medium sized bowl and mix well. Add the watermelon, onion, basil, cilantro, and cucumber to the bowl. Mix well until everything is nicely coated and set aside to marinate for about 10 minutes.
Sear the beef on both sides in a hot pan and cook to your preference. Remove from heat, cover and set aside. If you are using stir fry strips stir fry them to your preference, cover and set aside.
Remove the watermelon, etc from the bowl with a slotted spoon, place in a fresh bowl and set aside. Reserve the dressing.
Drain the rice noodles well and place them into a large bowl. Pour the reserved dressing over the rice noodles and toss until the noodles are well coated. If they seem dry, add a splash more olive oil and fruit vinegar (or lime juice).
Share the rice noodles over 4 plates. Add a healthy scoop of watermelon, etc over the noodles (use it all). Cut the beef into strips and distribute over each plate (same if you used stir fry strips) sprinkle with sesame seeds (and chili flakes if you choose), serve and enjoy this fresh and flavorful dish!