Less than an hour
Coconut Curried Veggies with Rice
- 2 medium onions, cubed
- 1 leek, sliced
- ½ lb mushrooms, in halves
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, in halves
- 1 crown Broccoli, stem sliced into medium cubes, crown cut into florets
- 2 Zucchini, grilled halves, then cubed
- 398 ml tin Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400 ml tin Coconut Cream
- Butter to sauté
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- ½ – 1 tsp chili flakes (depending on how spicy you like your food)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ c Peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 c Short Grain Brown Rice
- 4 wedges fresh Lime (garnish)
- Fresh Cilantro to garnish
Step by Step Instructions
Get the rice going – it will take 45 min to cook. While rice is cooking, get your veggies going!
**This is an optional step. Omit if you are pressed for time. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and sear the cut sides in a hot buttered heavy skillet until nicely browned. Set aside.
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, ginger, and leeks, sauté 3 or 4 minutes then add mushrooms. Sauté 5 minutes more, then add sliced broccoli stems, chickpeas, coconut cream, peanuts, salt, coriander, chili flakes, turmeric, bay leaf, and cumin. Cut seared zucchini into large cubes and add them to the pot. Mix everything until well combined, cover and lower heat to medium low and simmer until rice is 10 minutes from being done.
When rice is 10 minutes from being done, mix cherry tomatoes and broccoli florets into the curry pot, stir until well coated.
When rice is done, serve to the side of 4 shallow bowls and scoop a generous helping of curried veggies to the other side of the bowl. Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges – and enjoy!