30 – 45 min
Chili Lime Penne in Coconut Cream
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 lb dry penne
- 1 tin (400 ml) coconut cream or full fat coconut milk (coconut cream is best!)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 lg leaves kale, roughly chopped (a handful of baby spinach or chard work well here also)
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp chili flakes
- Olive oil (or butter) to sauté
Step by Step Instructions
Put a large pot of water on for the pasta and bring it to a rolling boil. Cook pasta as per package instructions until it’s just off al dente. When the penne is done, drain it well, then cover and set aside to keep warm until the sauce is finished. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.
In a large heavy skillet sauté the garlic in 2 tsp olive oil over medium heat until it’s fragrant (about 2 minutes). Bring up the heat to medium high and add the cubed chicken. Sauté until the chicken is nicely browned then add coconut cream, salt, pepper, and chili flakes and bring to a hard boil until the sauce begins to thicken then turn down the heat a bit and continue to reduce the sauce by about ½.
When the sauce has reduced and is nice and thick, add the kale and simmer until it begins to wilt, then add the tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes more.
Bring up the heat to medium and add the lime juice and the pasta to the sauce and stir well for a couple of minutes until everything is well combined. Give the sauce a taste and correct spices if required, then serve into pasta bowls and enjoy your tangy, creamy, spicy creation while it’s good and hot!