Less than 45 minutes
Curried Coconut Beef with Chickpeas & Zucchini
- 1 lb beef steak, or stewing beef, sliced very thinly
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large tin chickpeas (796 ml | 2 cups give or take) strained and rinsed well
- ½ cup peanuts or cashews
- 2 sticks celery, chopped medium
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 1 small zucchini, chopped medium
- 1 400 ml tin Coconut Cream
- 1 – 2 tsp curry paste, depending on how much you like
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/3 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped, to garnish
- Lemon wedges (optional)
Step by Step Instructions
Toast nuts over medium high heat in a cast iron fry pan or wok until browned (about 5 min). Set aside. Add coconut oil to pan and add beef, onions, and garlic, and stir fry over medium heat until beef is medium rare. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add coconut cream and curry paste to (the same) pan and bring to a soft boil for about two minutes. Add chickpeas and maintain a soft boil for about three minutes, then add celery and continue cooking until celery has begun to soften, but still has a bit of a crunch.
Next, add zucchini and cook half a minute more, then lower heat and add beef, onions, and nuts to the pan, stirring well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve into soup plates and garnish with fresh cilantro, cracked pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon (optional)