Less than 45 min!
Five Spice Beef & Greens
- 1 lb beef flank steak (or any kind of beef that you can cut into cubes or nice strips for stir frying)
- 1 large Onion, into large thin slices
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard, separated from the stem (chop the stems into 1” pieces and roughly chop the greens and set them aside in separate bowls)
- 1 cup Snap Peas, trimmed and stringed
- 1 cup dry Rice, as per package instructions
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Rice or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh Ginger, finely chopped (about a thumbs worth)
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Natural Sugar or Honey
- ¼ – ½ tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 heaping tsp Five Spice Powder
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
Step by Step Instructions
If you plan to serve this meal over rice, put the rice on and prepare it as per package instructions.
Place soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sugar or honey, and chili flakes into a medium sized bowl and mix well. Add the beef (cubed or in thin strips) and let it marinate for 10 to 20 min.
While the beef is marinating, prepare your veggies and set aside until the beef is ready to stir fry.
When beef is done marinating, heat the coconut and sesame oils in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef from the marinade and place the beef along with the onion into the wok and stir rapidly (but carefully, not to burn yourself!). When the onions begin to soften, add the peas and the Swiss Chard stems, stir fry for a few minutes, then add the marinade, Swiss Chard greens, and five spice powder and stir fry for another couple of minutes.
At this point the sauce will be very thin and we want to thicken it up so that our sauce has a lovely smooth consistency. Remove some of the sauce from the pan with a spoon into a heat proof cup. Add 1 tbsp of corn starch and whisk until it is smooth, then pour the mixture back into the wok, stirring rapidly for a minute or so until the sauce begins to thicken. Once thickened, remove the wok from the heat.
Serve your beautiful creation over four plates. If you have chosen to add rice to this meal you can either serve the beef and greens over rice, or place the rice on the side. Fresh and Delish! Enjoy!