About 40 minutes
- 8 bone in, skin on, chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium celery root, chopped into ½” cubes (approx)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 10 mushrooms, quartered
- 1 jar (398ml) crushed tomatoes, including the juice
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tsp garlic granules
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves1 tsp salt
- 10 cracks fresh black pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade to garnish
- Fresh grated Parmesan, to garnish
Step by Step Instructions
Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken on both sides (about 2 minutes per side), then remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium and add the onions to the pan. Sauté until they begin to turn translucent then add the mushrooms and celery root and sauté 5 minutes more.
Add the crushed tomatoes and juice, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, bay leaves, mix well, then nest the chicken back into the pan and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes then uncover, add the yellow and green zucchini along with the green pepper, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes more.
Set the broiler on high in your oven and pop the pan under the broiler for about 5 minutes to crisp up the chicken.
When the chicken is done to your liking scoop the veggies into 4 shallow bowls and place 2 pieces of chicken on top of each plate. Scatter with fresh basil and a sprinkle of fresh grated Parmesan, then sit down and enjoy the comforting, savory flavors of this amazing dinner!