35 – 45 min!
Penne in Tomato Sauce with Pancetta
- 1 lb dry penne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ lb pancetta, cut into cubes
- 1 tin (398 ml) plum tomatoes, cut into small chunks (reserve the juice!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dry basil
- pinch dried oregano
- ¼ to ¾ tsp chili flakes (depending on how spicy you like your sauce!)
- Salt and pepper to taste (go easy on the salt as the Pancetta brings a lot of saltiness to the dish)
- Fresh grated Parmesan and Fresh Basil to garnish
Step by Step Instructions
Sauté garlic and onions over medium low heat for a couple of minutes then add pancetta and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, basil, chili flakes, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer gently while you cook the penne until it’s about a minute off al dente (refer to package instructions).
Reserve about half a cup of the pasta water, drain penne when it’s almost al dente, and then add penne to the skillet with the sauce. Bring up the heat to medium high, add a good splash of pasta water and stir until sauce has reduced and pasta is well coated.
Serve into pasta bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan and fresh basil. Delish!!!