less than 45 minutes
- ¼ c Olive Oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ – 1 tsp chili flakes, depending on how spicy you like your pasta
- 1/3 c capers, drained
- 1 small tin anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 1 c Kalamata olives, sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin (798 ml) peeled tomatoes (including the juice) chopped into chunks or squished by hand
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 lb penne
- Fresh grated parmesan to garnish
Step by Step Instructions
In a heavy skillet sauté garlic and chili flakes in olive oil over medium heat until fragrant – about 5 minutes. Then add tomato paste and sauté 5 minutes more. Next add the tin of tomatoes (along with the juice), capers, olives, and anchovies and let the sauce reduce for about 30 minutes.
Note: this sauce is quite a bit thicker than your usual tomato sauce, so be careful with how much liquid you add. If the sauce appears thin, you can bring up the heat for a few minutes to reduce it.
While sauce is simmering, put a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta and begin cooking pasta when sauce has been simmering for 20 min. Cook pasta until al dente as per package instructions.
While pasta is cooking add the cherry tomatoes to the sauce and continue simmering until pasta is done.
When pasta is al dente, drain and return to pasta pot. Stir fresh basil into sauce then pour sauce over pasta and stir well until pasta is well coated and all ingredients are evenly distributed.
Serve into pasta bowls, top with fresh grated parmesan, serve and enjoy this spicy and complex delight!
Did You Make This??? Please hit the love button (on the left!) and also let us know how it turned out!