About 40 minutes
Tuscan Inspired Chicken & Vegetable Mélange
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (thighs or breasts) cubed
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, whole
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 tin (398 ml) Cannellini Beans or other small white beans drained and rinsed (beans are optional)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 2 c baby spinach
- ½ c sundried tomato pesto
- Olive oil to sauté
- ½ tsp salt
- 15 cracks fresh black pepper
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp Rosemary
- 8 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade (to garnish)
- Fresh grated Asiago, to garnish (use Parmesan if you don’t have Asiago on hand)
Step by Step Instructions
Sauté onions over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet (a Dutch oven will do the trick also!) until they begin to turn translucent. Add chicken, garlic, salt and pepper, and sauté until the chicken begins to brown, then add potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes more.
Add whip cream, fennel seeds, Rosemary, and tomato pesto, mix well and bring to a gentle boil for about 10 minutes, until potatoes are almost cooked through and cream has begun to thicken.
Add zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and beans and maintain a gentle boil until the tomatoes have softened and zucchini is tender but still has a bit of crunch.
Next you can: 1.turn off the heat and add the spinach. Mix well until the spinach is wilted then serve into shallow bowls, or 2. make a bed of spinach in each of 4 shallow bowls and serve the stew overtop of the spinach. Whichever you choose is just fine!
Finally, garnish each plate with fresh basil and a generous sprinkle of fresh grated Asiago, then sit down and enjoy the delightful Tuscan flavors this delicious dinner!