Vegetarian Cashew Korma
- 2 c cooked rice (basmati or jasmine are great!)
- ½ lb unsalted cashews (1/4 c coarsely chopped, the rest whole)
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c frozen green peas
- 1 tin (398ml) chopped tomatoes (including the juice)
- splash of water (if needed)
- 1″ fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ tbsp curry powder (or to your taste)
- 1 tin coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, to garnish
Step by Step Instructions
Prepare rice as per package instructions. Toast the whole cashews over medium heat in a heavy skillet until they begin to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
Melt butter in the same skillet over medium heat and sauté onion until tender. Add ginger and garlic and sauté for about a minute more. Add potatoes, carrots, chili flakes, chopped cashews, tomato sauce, salt and curry powder, and simmer for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Reduce heat to low and add peas, peppers, whole cashews, coriander, and coconut cream and simmer for 10 to 20 minutes.
Serve rice to the side of four shallow bowls and serve a generous helping of Korma alongside the rice. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve. You are going to love this!